Monday, March 20, 2017

Lent 2017 - Day 11 - Isaiah 18:3 - When

Day 11 - Isaiah 18:3 - When

"When a banner is raised on the mountains, look! When a trumpet sounds, listen!" ESV
"As soon as a standard is raised ... you will see it, as soon as a turret is blown, you will hear it" NASB

Two translations of the same verse say very different things to me.  (Imagine if I could read Hebrew!)

When --- look! When --- listen! That says to me, 'Pay attention!' Look for what is going on.  It echoes a verse my husband is dwelling on, "The son does only what he sees the Father doing." (John 5:19)  I want to see what You're doing! I don't want to miss it because I'm distracted elsewhere.  I want to be tuned in.

As soon as --- you will. This is different and reassuring.  It is less challenge issued and more confidence inspired.  I hear in this, "My child, don't worry.  Walk with me, and you won't miss a thing." Why does that touch me? The Lord is saying, "You're with me; you're part of this project.  You won't miss it because you're in the midst of it."

When we're loading in at the theater (for my son's drama group), I see when the set walls are constructed.  I'm there, game on, part of the show.  No one has to tell me to pay attention. This is the picture of life with God.

I fear at times that I require the 'Look! Listen! Pay attention!" I'm in awe at the thought that I can walk with God . "My child, as soon as ... you'll see it. Don't fear you'll miss Me.  You won't."

No comments: